|Description||This group is dedicated to those who participate in the BOINC program on California's Central Coast. If you live/have lived anywhere on the coast, feel free to join!
The Berkeley Open Infrastructure for Network Computing (BOINC) is a platform for 50+ different projects that use idle computer power for scientific research. To contribute, install the BOINC client available at http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php and when prompted enter the URL for a project of your choosing.
Popular projects include:
1. Rosetta@home (http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta): predicts how proteins will fold and interact with each other and drugs; helps find better methods to fight cancer, AIDS, Alzheimer's, malaria and other diseases.
2. Einstein@home (http://einstein.phys.uwm.edu/): looks for signs of gravitational waves and pulsars.
3. Climateprediction.net (http://climateprediction.net/): simulates likely climates between now and 2100, projects possible effects of global warming patterns. Collaborates with the BBC Climate Change project (http://bbc.cpdn.org/).
4. World Community Grid (http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/): investigates protein-protein interactions relevant to muscular dystrophy; compares and notes outdated information from a disparate array of online genomic and proteomic databases; analyzes tissue microarrays to identify types and stages of cancers present in patients; also researches AIDS, Smallpox and the Human Proteome Folding Phase 2 projects.
5. SETI@home (http://setiathome.berkeley.edu//): looks for signs of extra-terrestrial intelligence. BOINC emerged from SETI@home.
Statistics for BOINC projects and your contributions: http://boincstats.com.
GridRepublic (http://www.gridrepublic.org) and BOINC Account Manager (BAM!, http://boincstats.com/bam/) are two useful tools for managing and creating accounts on different BOINC projects.
- Folding@home (http://folding.stanford.edu/): offers similar distributed computing for protein folding simulations using Rosetta software, but is administratively separate from BOINC.
Other BOINC related groups on Facebook include:
BOINC - Donate unused computer power to science!: http://facebook.com/group.php?gid=2784015148
World Community Grid:
|Created||January 28, 2011|
|Recent average credit||0|
|Founder|| Tyler Licata|
|New members in last day||0|
|Total members||1 (view)|
|Active members||0 (view)|
|Members with credit||0 (view)|